Interstate 664 Bulkhead Rehabilitation
Project at a Glance
Est Completion Date
$4 Million (Construction)
Waterfront Marine Construction, Inc.
Hampton Roads Public Affairs
About the Project
The purpose of this project is to repair and rehabilitate the bulkhead along the stormwater management (SWM) basin located at the Interstate 664 north on-ramp to Interstate 64 west in the city of Hampton.
On July 21, 2015, the $4 million construction contract was awarded to Waterfront Marine Construction, Inc.
Starting Wednesday, May 11, all lanes are now open to traffic on the I-664 north/I-64 west flyover ramp.
As of Wednesday, November 11, a single lane closure was in place on the Interstate 664 north flyover ramp to Interstate 64 west.The lane closure was necessary to allow crews to perform bulkhead rehabilitation work to the bridge.
The project was completed on June 3, 2016.
Crews have finished installing the new sheet pile wall and have added flowable fill between the existing wall and the new wall. Erosion stone (riprap) has been installed underneath the abutment (the flyover). Installation of the anodes, which protect the wall by controlling corrosion have been completed as well.
Other completed work includes:
- All drainage items have been installed
- The coping has been set in place on top of sheet pile wall
- The asphalt patch work on the shoulder has been completed
- All Maintenance of Traffic (MOT) items have been removed and lane has reopened to traffic
- Concrete has been poured for top of the wall to lock coping in place
- Placement of riprap around the abutment
- Removal of the concrete wall forms
- Permanent striping refinements