I-564 Intermodal Connector
Project at a Glance
Philip Rinehart, P.E
The purpose of this project is to provide a safe, high-speed, highway connection from the existing I-564 to the Norfolk International Terminals and the Norfolk Naval Station. This road realignment will alleviate congestion and improve the level of service on city and naval station streets. The road repositioning will also reduce truck traffic on the adjacent roadways, in addition to being the first section in place for the proposed next project, Patriot's Crossing.
Overall Goals of the Project
- Reduce traffic demand through the underpass at the airfield
- Give direct interstate access to the port authority at the working piers
- Allow for the future Patriot's Crossing project to be accessible via I-564
Key Elements of the Project
- Four lanes separated by a grass median
- A realignment of I-564 for future crossings under the Elizabeth River
- The redirection of truck traffic from Hampton Boulevard to the ports
- Installation of variable message signs and traffic cameras
Navy Triangle Improvements
- Fleet Recreational Park was a replacement recreational facility for the Norfolk Naval Base that allowed VDOT to use the previous site for the widening of Hampton Boulevard and the construction of the I-564 Intermodal Connector.
- Hampton Boulevard will create a grade separation thus eliminating the need to interrupt vehicular traffic for railway movement in to and out of the port terminals.
- The Intermodal Connector will realign I-564 to Hampton Boulevard with improved access into Naval Station Norfolk and Norfolk International Terminals.
- Patriot's Crossing will create a connection from I-564 to I-664 which will travel under the Elizabeth River.
The design-build project is being administered by the Federal Highway Administration’s Eastern Federal Lands Division on behalf of VDOT. The contract was awarded to Cherry Hill Construction, Inc.
Award Design Build - February 2014 (Awarded)
Issue Notice to Proceed -March 2014 (Issued)
Final Design Approval - Spring 2015
Construction Complete -June 2017
Public Meeting Items
A public meeting was held in December 2012 for the update to the NEPA document. At this meeting, the public was provided information regarding the project’s scope, purpose and need. Representatives from VDOT, the U.S. Navy, the city of Norfolk and FHWA were available to discuss specific issues and answer questions about the project.