Route 630 (Courthouse Road) and Interstate 95 Interchange Reconstruction
|Exit 140, Stafford County|
Project at a Glance
The existing diamond interchange at Exit 140 (Stafford County) on Interstate 95 at Route 630 (Courthouse Road) cannot efficiently handle the current volume of traffic.
In addition, Courthouse Road, which is two lanes, has reached a critical point at which future traffic will exceed its capacity.
VDOT has hired a design consultant, CH2MHill, to create a detailed design for the interchange.
• This project will be a full reconstruction of the I-95/Route 630 interchange (Exit 140/Courthouse Road).
• The proposed interchange will be a modified split diamond with the Route 630 intersection at Route 1 relocated south to align with Hospital Center Boulevard.
An Interchange Modification Report (IMR) was prepared and submitted to the Federal Highway Administration. The FHWA approved the IMR in 2011.
This IMR started with 9 alternatives for the interchange reconstruction, including a no-build alternative, and examined each one based on technical and operational effectiveness.
The alternative currently under design was advanced because it balanced cost, traffic and operational efficiency, and minimized impacts to the environment and surrounding properties.
• Survey efforts for the environmental document of the preliminary engineering process were done from April-October 2011.
• The project's environmental document will look at the no-build option, and the design currently underway now.
• There is no construction funding or construction schedule at this time.
• The Park & Ride lot at Route 630 will be relocated in the same general area, and will be built to have the same number of parking spaces as the existing lot, at minimum.
• A multi-use path will be located along the westbound corridor of the interchange.
Public Hearing and Documents
A public hearing on the project design has been scheduled for:
Thursday, November 29, 2012
Colonial Forge High School
550 Courthouse Road
Stafford, VA 22554
Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) officials will be available continuously from 5-8 p.m. on Thursday, November 29 at Colonial Forge High School to share the proposed project design, maps and project schedule, and to address questions.
The public will have an opportunity to submit written and oral comments at the meeting, and following the meeting through Monday, December 10, 2012.
Materials from the meeting are posted below:
Citizen Information Meeting and Documents
An information meeting on the project has been scheduled for:
Thursday, June 14, 2012
Stafford County Government Center
ABC Conference Room
1300 Courthouse Road
Stafford, VA 22554
Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) officials will be available continuously from 5-8 p.m. on Thursday, June 14 at the Stafford County Government Center to share the preliminary project design, maps and project schedule, and to address questions.
The public will have an opportunity to submit written and oral comments at the meeting, and following the meeting through Monday, June 25, 2012.
All meeting materials are posted below:
Comments can be sent by e-mail to:
Please reference “I-95/Route 630 Interchange Project” in the subject line.
Comments sent by mail may be addressed to:
Mr. Kevin Northridge
Virginia Department of Transportation
87 Deacon Road
Stafford, VA 22405