Route 627 (Gordon Road) Commuter Parking Lot Expansion
Project at a Glance
Est Completion Date
Estimated $7.2 million
General Excavation, Inc.
The Virginia Department of Transportation is expanding the VDOT-owned Park & Ride commuter lot on Route 627 (Gordon Road) in Spotsylvania County to add approximately 500 new parking spaces. The parking lot is located at the intersection of Route 3 and Gordon Road.
Other changes include:
- A dedicated slugging pickup and dropoff line
- A centralized area for buses
- A second entrance to the lot on Harrison Road in addition to the existing Gordon Road entrance
- A pedestrian sidewalk connecting the lot with commercial development at Harrison Crossing
The project was advertised for construction in May 2014, and awarded to General Excavation, Inc. Construction work mobilized in fall 2014, and will be completed by December 2015.
Click Here to view plans of the lot expansion.
Summer 2015: Traffic Shifts
More than 350 new parking spaces will open on Monday, July 27, 2015 in the Gordon Road Park & Ride lot in Spotsylvania County.
On the same day, a portion of the existing commuter lot will close for approximately six weeks for refurbishment.
View the map of the new parking spaces and traffic patterns that will be in place during the transition period.
The slugging (HOV Carpooling) pickup and dropoff area will remain in the same location during the next six weeks.
Construction in the lot will be finished by December 2015.
With new parking open, work can focus on refurbishing the existing lot.
What Lot Users Need to Know
• More than 350 new parking spaces will open on Monday, July 27 in an expanded section of the lot.
• The western half of the existing lot will close on Monday, July 27 for 6 weeks. VDOT will mill and pave the existing lot, paint new lane markings, and build a bus lane.
• The Gordon Road entrance to the lot will remain open.
• The access road between the existing lot and new parking area will remain open.
• The Spotsylvania Farmers Market will remain open during all phases of construction. Customers will park in the new section of the lot and walk to the market area.
• Vanpool drivers are strongly encouraged to park in the new parking section on weekends, as far to the north as possible. This will provide additional parking for market customers on Saturdays.