Route 1, Route 17 Business, and Route 218 (Butler Road)
|Falmouth Intersection Improvement Project|
Project at a Glance
New Lanes Open to Traffic: October 2015
New turn lanes and travel lanes have opened at the Falmouth intersection in Stafford County after an 18-month construction project to reduce driver delay.
This Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) project is located where Route 1, Route 17 Business, and Route 218 (Butler Road) meet in Stafford’s Falmouth area, immediately north of the Falmouth Bridge over the Rappahannock River.
The project sought to unclog a key alternate route for Interstate 95 and make it easier for Stafford and City of Fredericksburg residents to pass between the localities. The intersection was widened slightly to accommodate new turn and through lanes at the traffic signal.
Other benefits of the intersection project include:
• Pedestrian crossings on three of the intersection’s four approaches, with pedestrian push button countdown equipment
• New sidewalks
• New traffic signal equipment
• Larger overhead street signs
• Quicker access for emergency vehicles passing through the intersection
• Reduction of vehicle emissions from idling vehicles
• Extensive documentation of historically significant features at the project site
• Landscaping elements to be planted in late fall, when temperature are cooler
Click Here to see the plan sheet of the intersection and its new lane assignments.
The Virginia Department of Transportation held a public hearing on the project's final design in January 2011. Please click here to view a copy of the hearing brochure.
Pardon Our Dust Meeting: Monday, March 3, 2014
The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) held a “Pardon Our Dust” meeting on Monday, March 10, 2014, to share information about upcoming construction plans for improvements at the Falmouth intersection in Stafford County.
“Pardon Our Dust” Meeting
Monday, March 10, 2014
VDOT Fredericksburg District Auditorium
86 Deacon Road
Fredericksburg, VA 22405