John W. Warner Parkway, Albemarle Co.
|New roadway from East Rio Road to Melbourne Road|
Project at a Glance
Est Completion Date
Completed Oct. 13, 2011; opened to traffic Jan. 6, 2012
$11.8 million construction contract; $30.33 million total cost
Lengths and Limits
1.4 miles, from East Rio Road to Melbourne Road
Faulconer Construction Company, Inc.
Office of Communications
Construction of the northern leg of John W. Warner Parkway, located in Albemarle County, was completed Oct. 13, 2011. The road was opened to traffic on Jan. 6, 2012.
The new 1.4-mile road, also known as Meadow Creek Parkway, provides a new two-lane route from East Rio Road south to the Charlottesville city limits at Melbourne Road. This project also included construction of a new and wider East Rio Road bridge over the Norfolk Southern Railroad and new entrances to the Charlottesville-Albemarle Technical Education Center (CATEC) and the Dunlora and Belvedere residential communities. These improvements will enhance safety for motorists using East Rio Road as well as those entering and leaving the school and nearby businesses and communities.
A second project, originally called McIntire Road Extended, extends John W. Warner Parkway 0.4 mile from Melbourne Road to the Route 250 Bypass in the City of Charlottesville. This road was completed on June 10, 2013 and opened to traffic Feb. 5, 2015 in conjunction with the ribbon-cutting for the Route 250-McIntire interchange.
Information and Resources
- VDOT to Open Meadow Creek Parkway on Jan. 6, 2012
- VDOT Begins Final Preparations to Open Meadow Creek Parkway
- East Rio Road to Close Oct. 11 for Construction
- East Rio Road Will Not be Closed on Oct. 5
- East Rio Road to Close Oct. 5 for Reconstruction, Realignment
- Traffic Shifted to New Alignment on East Rio Rd. Railroad Bridge
- Clearing Operations to Begin on Meadowcreek Parkway
- CTB Awards Meadowcreek Parkway Construction Contract
- Nine Companies Bid on Meadowcreek Parkway Project
- Parkway project plans, north section (PDF, 2 MB)
- Parkway project plans, central section (PDF, 966 KB)
- Parkway project plans, south section (PDF, 2 MB)