Safe Routes to School Program
Events and Newsletters
September - October, 2016: Student Travel Tally Week 2016
Take a ‘show of hands’ travel tally at your school any week in September or October to assess student travel patterns and take part in the statewide effort to encourage more students to bike and walk to school. To encourage broad participation across the state, schools that participate for the first time will receive a Safe Routes to School Banner and a decal to decorate the banner. Repeat participants will receive an STTW participation decal to add to the others on their SRTS Banner. Learn more on the Student Travel Tally Week webpage.
November 1, 2016: TA Set-Aside Applications Due
Transportation Alternatives Set-aside (TA Set-Aside) Program Grants are federal grants that can be used to fund SRTS infrastructure improvements. The grants require a 20% local match, and projects must have an eligible sponsor with experience administering federal grants. Please visit VDOT’s Local Assistance Division’s website for more information.
November 15, 2016: Last day paper tally and survey forms will be accepted by the National Center for Safe Routes to School
Changes are coming to the Safe Routes to School Data Collection System. As FHWA’s Safe Routes to School clearinghouse funding comes to end in 2016, the SRTS Data system will be transitioning to a self-service and mobile friendly system.
What will change:
- The National Center will accept mailed paper forms until Nov 15, 2016. PLEASE NOTE: Estimated time to process Surveys and Travel Tallies: 12 weeks
- You will be able to create your own links to administer online parent surveys and travel tallies.
- Saferoutesdata.org will be mobile-friendly to allow you to quickly enter paper-based parent surveys and travel tallies.
What will stay the same:
- You can still enter your own paper-based parent survey and travel tally responses at saferoutesdata.org
- You can access all of your past and future data.
- The data system will continue to generate reports just as in the past.
Stay informed about the SRTS developments in Virginia with the VDOT SRTS Newsletter. Every newsletter includes a calendar of upcoming events and features articles about SRTS grant opportunities and SRTS program implementation.
Sign up for our email list to receive our quarterly newsletters electronically. You can read past editions of the Virginia SRTS Newsletter in PDF format by clicking on the links below.
Skyline Middle School’s bike fleet, Harrisonburg, VA