Safe Routes to School
Main • Events and Newsletter • Crossing Guard Appreciation Day
Student Travel Tally Week • Bike to School Day • School Travel Plans & Grants
Starter Kit • Resource Library • Other Links • Marketing Toolkit
Join our email list • Contact us
Enhanced Walkabout Mini-Grants
SRTS infrastructure funds are now available under the new Transportation Alternatives Program, with applications due November 1, 2013. If you are thinking about working with your community’s local engineer to identify a SRTS project and complete an application, the VDOT SRTS Program wants to help. VDOT is making available six Enhanced Walkabout Mini-grants to help you identify projects that may be eligible for funding and complete key sections of the Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP) application for an infrastructure project that benefits walking and bicycling to school. Enhanced Walkabout Mini-grant applications are due August 23, 2013.
Enhanced Walkabout Mini-grant recipients will receive a Walkabout led by an experienced transportation consultant and a Walkabout Report summarizing SRTS infrastructure and non-infrastructure recommendations. The Enhanced Walkabout Report will include a description of the conditions observed during theWalkabout, photos, and recommended improvements in a format that makes it easy to use in funding applications.
The Enhanced Walkabout is in excellent opportunity for community stakeholders to experience pedestrian and bicycle conditions, share perspectives, and build consensus around potential solutions.
The Enhanced Walkabout Mini-grant is valued at $2,500 and may be used for this purpose only. Also note that:
- Six Enhanced Walkabout Mini-grants are available.
- Enhanced Walkabout Mini-grant applications are due August 23, 2013.
- Walkabouts must be conducted between September 15 and October 4 in order to meet the anticipated Transportation Alternatives application deadline of November 1, 2013.
- Applicants must identify three dates from those offered that they can assemble a team for the walkabout.
- Grant awards will be announced on September 3 and will specify the date on which the enhanced walkbout will be conducted.