Bicycling and Walking in Virginia
State Bicycling Policy Plan
The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) has developed the State Bicycle Policy Plan to ensure bicyclists are an integral component of Virginia’s multimodal transportation system, and to provide bicycle policy recommendations that will guide the planning, design, construction, operation and maintenance of bicycle accommodations.
The plan institutes the needed framework for establishing and maintaining a transportation system that encourages bicycling by providing infrastructure accommodations for bicyclists of all ages and abilities.
The plan also is intended to improve public health and safety by reducing traffic congestion and emissions contributing to air pollution.
Strategies and opportunities have been identified in the plan to enhance the implemented Commonwealth Transportation Board’s 2004 Policy for Integrating Bicycle and Pedestrian Accommodations, while addressing stakeholder concerns across the commonwealth.
The recommendations outlined in the policy will be used throughout Virginia to assist in the planning, design, construction, operation and maintenance of bicycle accommodations.
The Virginia State Bicycle Policy Plan contains four main recommendations:
- Clarifying bicycle accommodation policies
- Providing staff with resources to integrate the requirements of bicyclists in projects and programs
- Improving outreach and coordination on this transportation alternative
- Evaluating the established bicycle plan performance measures
- VDOT State Bicycle Policy Plan (4 MB)
- VDOT State Bicycle Policy Plan Recommendations Summary Table (500 KB)