Sandy Myers 540-332-9201
Cellular: (540) 292-2500
April 17, 2008
VDOT COMMISSIONER APPROVES MULTIPLE PROJECTS DURING 2008 FIRST FOUR MONTHS IN STAUNTON DISTRICT
Several projects have been approved by Virginia Department of Transportation Commissioner David Ekern in the VDOT Staunton District. The VDOT Staunton District serves Frederick, Shenandoah, Clarke, Warren, Page, Rockingham, Augusta, Highland, Rockbridge, Alleghany and Bath counties.
The following projects were approved by Commissioner Ekern on January 31, 2008:
- S & D industrial Painting Inc. of Tarpon Spring, Fla. was awarded a $1,498,9000 contract for bridge painting. The contract includes 13 bridges located in Augusta, Frederick, Page, Rockbridge and Shenandoah counties. The bridges are located on interstate, primary and secondary roads. Completion is June 1, 2009.
- Slurry Pavers Inc. of Glen Allen was awarded a $306,383.75 contract for paving at various locations throughout the VDOT Staunton District.
The following projects were approved by Commissioner Ekern on February 29, 2008:
- Robertson-Fowler Co. of Buchanan was awarded a $219,048.53 contract for rural rustic road construction on Route 609 in Rockbridge County. The project is 1.9 miles long and located between the Botetourt County line and Route 11. The project will repair slide areas. The road will maintain its current width of 16 to 18 feet. The average daily traffic count is 79 vehicles. Completion is July 31, 2008.
- Howdyshell Excavating Inc. of Mount Solon was awarded a $481,874.50 contract for intersection improvements in the Town of Bridgewater. The project is located at Route 42 and Mount Crawford Avenue and includes right-turn lanes on Mount Crawford Avenue and Route 42, plus sidewalk improvements. Completion is October 31, 2008.
- DLB Inc. of Hillsville was awarded a $505,746 contract for pipe culvert rehabilitation at various locations in Warren and Clarke counties. Completion is June 13, 2008.
- Lanford Brothers Co. Inc. was awarded a $671,872.60 contract for bridge repairs and overlay work in Rockingham and Augusta counties. The work will take place on the Cooks Creek bridge on Route 290 in Rockingham County, the Middle River bridge on Route 254 in Augusta County, and on the Middle River bridge on Route 616 in Augusta County.
- McClain and Co. Inc. of Culpeper was awarded a $59,964 contract for installation of signs including mile marker signs at various locations throughout the Staunton District. The work will take place on interstate and limited access primary roads. Completion is August 15, 2008.
- Adams Construction Co. of Roanoke was awarded a $157,816.72 contract for plant mix paving on various roads in Rockbridge County and a $1,028,327.16 contract for plant mix paving on various roads in Augusta and Highland counties. It also was awarded a $654,617.63 contract for plant mix paving on various roads in Page County. This work will take place during the 2008 construction season.
- W-L Construction and Paving Inc. of Chilowie was awarded a $438,995.98 contract for plant mix paving at various locations in Shenandoah County and a $920,897.56 contract for plant mix paving on various roads in Clarke and Warren counties . This work will take place during the 2008 construction season
The following projects were approved by Commissioner Ekern on March 26, 2008:
- B & S Contracting Inc. of Staunton was awarded a $1,593,182.12 contract for milling and paving and guardrail upgrades on Interstate 81 southbound in Augusta County from exit 225 at Route 262 to exit 222 at Route 250. Completion is December 1, 2008.
- Adams Construction Co. of Roanoke was awarded a $1,471,038.79 contract for milling and paving and guardrail upgrades on Interstate 81 northbound in Rockingham County from the Augusta County line to exit 240 at Route 257. Completion is December 1, 2008.
- W-L Construction and Paving Inc. of Chilhowie was awarded a $1,805,888.29 contract for milling and paving and guardrail upgrades on Interstate 66 eastbound from Interstate 81 to exit 6 at Route 340/522 in Warren County. Completion is December 1, 2008.
- W-L Construction and Paving Inc. was awarded a $1,261,638.65 contract for milling and paving and guardrail upgrades on Interstate 81 southbound in Frederick County from exit 310 at Route 37 to exit 307 at Route 277 in Stephens City. Completion is December 1, 2008.
- Stuart M. Perry Inc. of Winchester was awarded a $431,381.29 contract for paving on two portions of Route 522 in Frederick County. One portion is located in the southbound lanes from Route 608 to Route 684 near Gainesboro. The other portion is located in the northbound lanes from Route 127 to Route 699 near Reynolds Store. Completion is June 1, 2008.
- Adams Construction Co. of Roanoke was awarded a $1,008,437.91 contract for paving portions of Route 11 in Rockbridge County. The work is located from Frontage Road 319 to Route 833 between Fancy Hill and Lexington. Completion is June 1, 2008.
- Roadmark Corp. of Durham, N.C. was awarded a $563,160 contract for pavement marking installation at various locations in the VDOT Staunton and Culpeper districts. Completion is September 1, 2008.
- A & M Concrete Corp. of Falls Church was awarded an $82,855.50 contract for concrete repairs in Shenandoah and Frederick counties. The work includes curb and gutter repairs and drop inlet repairs. Completion is May 31, 2008.
The following projects were approved by Commissioner Ekern on April 11, 2008:
- B & S Contracting Inc. of Staunton was awarded a $518,237.43 contract for paving on a portion of Route 42 in Augusta County. The 5.1 mile project is located from Route 687 heading north to 1.2 miles north of Route 1130. Completion is June 16, 2008.
- Finley Asphalt and Sealing Inc. of Manassas Park was awarded a $196,467.50 contract for pavement patching involving asphalt concrete planning, surface preparation and application on various roads in Frederick and Shenandoah counties. Completion is June 13, 2008.
- Accent Stripe Inc. of Orchard Park, N. Y. was awarded a $391,769.50 contract for raised pavement marker and lens replacement on various interstate, primary and secondary roads in the VDOT Northwest Region which includes the VDOT Staunton District and portions of the VDOT Culpeper District. This work will be a mobile nighttime operation. Completion is October 1, 2008.
- Slurry Pavers Inc. of Glen Allen was awarded a $694,839.04 contract for slurry seal application. This is the Staunton district-wide slurry seal contract for the 2008 construction season.
Traffic alerts and traveler information can be obtained by dialing 511. In areas where 511 is unavailable, dial 1-800-578-4111. (TTY/TDD users, call 711). Traffic alerts and traveler information also are available at 511Virginia.org.
Highway safety is everyone’s responsibility. Virginia’s highway safety partnership — the Virginia Department of Transportation, Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles and Virginia State Police — challenges you to help prevent highway fatalities. Buckle up. Avoid distractions. Share the road. Drive drug- and alcohol-free. Obey speed limits. For more information on the Highway Safety Challenge and things you can do to avoid becoming Virginia’s next traffic fatality, visit www.safeVAhighways.org.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.