|IMMEDIATE - 5 a.m.
Marshall M. Herman 804-692-2134
Feb. 15, 2016
VDOT URGES MOTORISTS NOT TO TRAVEL TODAY
Road condition updates can be found at 511virginia.org
RICHMOND, Va. – Snow has fallen across the commonwealth leaving most roadways in minor to moderate condition. Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) crews have been working throughout the night to plow and treat roads. Snow and ice removal operations will continue as long as conditions exist.
Sleet and freezing rain is expected to fall in most areas of Virginia today. Motorists should delay travel as slick conditions could develop quickly, even on treated roads.
If travel is absolutely necessary:
- Know conditions before getting on the road – go to 511virginia.org, download the free VDOT 511 mobile app or call 5-1-1.
- Allow extra time to reach destinations, lower speed and keep a safe distance from other vehicles.
- Watch out for black ice, especially near bridges, overpasses, ramps and shaded areas.
- Slow down and allow slow-moving equipment crews, such as snow plow operators, the right of way.
- Call 800-FOR-ROAD (800-367-7623) to report road hazards or ask questions or report problems at https://my.vdot.virginia.gov.
Check out VDOT’s winter travel info for additional snow removal facts.
*Note: Roadways in minor condition have isolated spots of snow, ice or slush. Moderate condition means snow or ice is on major portions of the roadway.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.