Tamara Rollison 804-786-2715
Feb. 25, 2015
VDOT IS READY FOR ANOTHER ROUND OF HEAVY SNOW
Crews, equipment and supplies deployed for a statewide snow storm
Download 511 mobile app to monitor road conditions
RICHMOND – Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) crews have spent the day pre-treating roads and getting ready for a snowstorm that is expected to hit the state with two to 11 inches of snow tonight through tomorrow morning, with the highest amounts in south Richmond, Hampton Roads and the Eastern Shore.
What to expect tonight and through the morning during the storm:
- Expect slick and treacherous roads where heavy snow is predicted. AVOID OR LIMIT TRAVEL.
- Watch for snow plows. Crews work in 12 hour shifts to treat and plow roads.
- Tree and debris removal teams are deployed.
- Motor graders and other heavy equipment are staged along some major roadways to remove wrecked tractor trailers and other vehicles from roads.
- Safety Service Patrol teams will be out monitoring roadways and assisting with keeping roads clear.
- Major roadways with the highest traffic volumes, interstates and primary highways, are treated and plowed first. Once those roads are in good condition crews move to the secondary roads and finally into neighborhoods to clear subdivision streets.
- In Northern Virginia, crews plow and treat interstates, major roads and neighborhoods concurrently.
Behind the scenes:
- Traffic operations staff monitor roadways and deploy resources where needed.
- Call centers operate 24/7 taking calls from motorists, citizens and others on road conditions.
For more information:
- www.511virginia.org - latest road conditions
- VDOT’s Customer Service Center at 1-800-367-ROAD (7623) - report downed trees, debris traffic outages
- http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/snow.asp - winter travel information
- In Northern Virginia, once two inches have fallen, residents can enter their address at www.vdotplows.org to see the status of plowing in their neighborhood
You can also stay informed by monitoring VDOT’s social media channels.