Marshall M. Herman 804-692-2134
Dec. 18, 2015
TRANSPORTATION TRAINING SYMPOSIUM HELPS PROPEL DBE FIRMS
Partnerships are key to success in creating contract opportunities
WILLIAMSBURG, Va. – The 2015 Virginia Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) Transportation Training Symposium, hosted by the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) and the Transportation DBE Advisory Committee on Dec. 9-10, provided DBE firms the chance to learn about trends and best practices of the transportation industry and develop and advance partnerships to create contracting opportunities.
“We are proud to assist the Transportation DBE Advisory Committee in facilitating growth and business opportunities for DBE firms in Virginia through this event,” said VDOT Commissioner Charlie Kilpatrick. “These businesses play an important role in transportation projects across the commonwealth, and are at the heart of our mission to Keep Virginia Moving.”
Approximately 250 people attended the DBE training symposium, with more than 100 organizations represented, including prime contractors and consultants, DBE firms and government agencies.
The two-day training event and awards program, held in Williamsburg, was designed to provide educational workshops, recognize outstanding DBEs and provide network opportunities between DBE firms and prime contractors and consultants that will lead to more work on highway-related contracts in the future.
The DBE Awards Program held Dec. 10 recognized the following firms for outstanding performance and participation in the DBE Program:
- Outstanding DBE Transportation of Materials Firm of the Year- Ty’s Hauling & Paving, Inc.
- Outstanding DBE Supplier of the Year- CLS Trucking, Inc.
- DBE Trailblazer of the Year- Sandra’s Marking Co. Inc.
- Outstanding DBE Contractor of the Year- D.T. Read Steel Co., Inc.
- Outstanding DBE Consultant of the Year- MJ Synergy Group, LLC
- Prime Contractor of the Year- E.V. Williams, Inc.
- Prime Consultant of the Year- A. Morton Thomas & Associates, Inc.
- DBE Achievement of the Year- JIREH Construction Co., Inc.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.