Jeff Caldwell 804-225-4260
Jan. 22, 2013
MCDONNELL RELEASES PROPOSED TRANSPORTATION PROJECT LIST FOR 'VIRGINIA'S ROAD TO THE FUTURE'
2013 transportation funding proposal would provide for 158 highway projects statewide and $1.07 billion for new rail and transit projects
From the office of Gov. Bob McDonnell
RICHMOND—Gov. Bob McDonnell’s comprehensive, long term transportation funding proposal, “Virginia’s Road to the Future,” would provide the Virginia Department of Transportation with approximately $1.28 billion in new state funding that could be used for 158 highway projects providing a significant investment in improving interstate pavement, secondary system bridges, mass-transit, unpaved roads and other high priority projects. The proposal will also provide $1.07 billion in new funds for rail and transit projects. In addition, the plan would prevent approximately $500 million of projects in the existing six year improvement program from being delayed due to a downturn in revenue projections.
Speaking about the transportation funding plan today, Gov. McDonnell said, “The recommended list of transportation infrastructure projects represents a significant down payment on Virginia's transportation future. Every corner of the Commonwealth will reap the benefits of safer roads, quicker commutes and increased access to public transportation if this plan is adopted. A world-class transportation system is vital to both economic opportunity and to the quality of life of every Virginian. It is imperative that we act now to ensure that Virginia continues to lead the way as a top place to live, work and raise a family.”
Among the highway, passenger rail and transit projects the governor would recommend are:
- Dulles Metrorail Extension Project
- Extension of passenger rail to Roanoke
- Increased train service to and from Norfolk
- I-66/Route 28 interchange in Fairfax County
- I-95 interchange relocation in Stafford County
- I-95/I-64 overlap improvements in Richmond
- I-64 capacity improvements between Newport News and Williamsburg
- Route 606, Dulles Loop in Loudoun County
- Route 29/666 Interchange in Culpeper County
- Route 340 bridge replacement in Warren County
- I-81 bridge replacement over the New River in Montgomery County
- I-81/I-77 overlap capacity improvements
- Numerous bridge replacements statewide
- Major interstate reconstructive paving projects statewide
- Track improvements Newport News to Richmond/Richmond to Washington, DC
- Unpaved road projects, statewide
Funding for these projects are in addition to the funding in the Commonwealth Transportation Board's current Six-Year Improvement Program. The governor intends to recommend that the board advance these projects once his proposal passes the General Assembly.
The proposed highway project list can be found at: http://www.governor.virginia.gov/utility/docs/Illustrative%20List%20Highway%20Projects.pdf
The proposed transit and rail project list can be found at: http://www.governor.virginia.gov/utility/docs/Illustrative%20List%20Rail%20and%20Transit%20Projects.pdf
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.