Tamara Rollison 804-786-2715
Taylor Thornley 804-786-2211
Feb. 22, 2012
GOV. MCDONNELL ANNOUNCES SUPPORT AND FUNDING FOR SAFE ROUTES TO SCHOOL
Program benefits students in grades K-8
From the office of Gov. Bob McDonnell
RICHMOND – Governor Bob McDonnell today announced the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) awarded $5.9 million in Safe Routes to School (SRTS) funding to 18 communities across the Commonwealth for the 2012 SRTS grant cycle. The funds will be used for projects that will make bicycling and walking to school safer and more appealing for students at 28 elementary and middle schools.
"The Safe Routes to School program's primary goal is to support communities that want to make walking and bicycling to school a safe and convenient option for children," said Governor McDonnell. "By providing these funds, as well as technical assistance to Virginia communities, we are helping to reduce congestion, improve air quality and promote other transportation choices. We also are encouraging healthy habits that we hope will transform into healthy lifestyles as these children grow."
The SRTS program is designed for localities, schools and non-profit groups seeking to improve walking and bicycling opportunities for children in kindergarten through eighth grades. All local governments are eligible to apply for funding to construct and enhance bicycle and pedestrian accommodations in and around schools. They may also apply for a grant for encouragement, education and law enforcement activities; which schools and non-profit groups are eligible for as well. The statewide program is funded by the U.S. Department of Transportation's Federal Highway Administration.
The following localities will receive funding for infrastructure projects to benefit the listed schools. These include pedestrian and bicycle crossings, sidewalks, multi-use trails, signing and traffic-calming improvements:
- City of Alexandria - Matthew Maury Elementary School, Mount Vernon Combined School, William Ramsey Elementary School and James Polk Elementary School
- City of Colonial Heights - Colonial Heights Middle School
- City of Falls Church - Mt. Daniel Elementary School and Mary Ellen Henderson Middle School
- City of Galax - Galax Elementary School
- City of Manassas Park - Manassas Park Middle School
- City of Roanoke - Garden City Elementary School
- City of Staunton - McSwain Elementary School
- City of Waynesboro - Westwood Hills Elementary School, William Perry Elementary School, Wenonah Elementary School and Kate Collins Middle School
- Fairfax County - Terra Centre Elementary School
- Fauquier County - Cedar Lee Middle School
- Lynchburg City - Perrymont Elementary School, Thomas C. Miller Elementary School and Dearington Elementary School
- Town of Ashland - Henry Clay Elementary School
- Town of Blacksburg - Harding Avenue Elementary School and Margaret Beeks Elementary School
- Town of Chincoteague - Chincoteague Elementary School and Chincoteague Combined School
- Town of Colonial Beach - Colonial Beach Elementary School
- Town of Stanley - Stanley Elementary School
- Town of Vienna - Cunningham Park Elementary School
- Town of West Point - West Point Elementary School and West Point Middle School
The next opportunity to apply for SRTS funding will begin this summer. For more information on Safe Routes to School funding and the application process, visit http://www.virginiadot.org/saferoutes
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.