VDOT News - Salem
Jen Ward 540-387-5238
Dec. 12, 2016
OPENING OF NEW CONNECTOR ROAD TO PRECEDE MAJOR DETOUR AT I-81’S EXIT 150 ON DECEMBER 18
Traffic to detour onto Gateway Crossing during Route 11 closure
SALEM — Botetourt County and the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) held a ribbon-cutting today to celebrate the opening of the new connector road, Gateway Crossing, off I-81 at exit 150. When the new road opens on December 18, it will include a new signal at the intersection of Gateway Crossing and Alternate 220 and become part of a major detour on Route 11 as the project progresses into its next phase of construction, the roundabout.
On December 18, Route 11 from Gateway Crossing to the intersection of Route 220 and Route 11 will be closed to through traffic. Gateway Crossing will detour traffic off of Route 11 and drivers will need to watch for signs to direct them through the interchange.
Detours for access to Route 11, Alternate Route 220 and Route 220 will be as follows:
- All traffic accessing Alternate 220 or Route 11 from I-81 will use exit 150 A.
- All traffic accessing Route 220 northbound towards Fincastle from I-81 will use exit 150 B. No other access will be available from this exit.
From Route 11:
- Route 11 southbound traffic will use Gateway Crossing to Alternate 220 to return to southbound Route 11.
- Route 11 northbound traffic will use Alternate 220 to Gateway Crossing to return to northbound Route 11.
- Access to businesses on Route 11 located between Gateway Crossing and the intersection of Route 11 and Route 220 will be available to local traffic only. A barricade will be in place on southbound Route 11 preventing through traffic.
During this next phase of construction, crews will be working on the new roundabout and the new on-ramp to I-81 northbound. Drivers may see periodic lane closures on Gateway Crossing and Route 11 in the construction area of the roundabout.
This phase of construction with the traffic switch is expected to be completed in summer 2017. Signs and message boards will alert drivers and direct traffic.
Resources for drivers, including graphics and videos, are available on VDOT’s website at http://www.virginiadot.org/exit150Improvements.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.