Jen Ward 540-387-5238
Nov. 19, 2014
TRAFFIC ALERT: REPAIRS SCHEDULED FOR THE LIBERTY ROAD BRIDGE OVER INTERSTATE 581 IN ROANOKE
Lane closures planned for southbound I-581
Due to the high probability of rain, the lane closures associated with the Liberty Road bridge repair have been moved from Sunday, Nov. 23, to Saturday, Nov. 22.
• A single lane closure will be in place Saturday, Nov. 22, on southbound I-581 in the area of Liberty Road from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. Liberty Road will be reduced to one lane with flaggers controlling traffic.
• Lane closures will not be necessary Friday, Nov. 21.
Remains as scheduled:
• Thursday, Nov. 20, 10 p.m. until 6 a.m., two lanes of southbound I-581 will be closed
• Monday, Nov. 24 from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m., a single lane closure on southbound I-581
• An additional work day is planned for Tuesday, Nov. 25, from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. if necessary
SALEM – Beginning Wednesday, Nov. 19, a contractor will begin making repairs to the Liberty Road bridge over southbound I-581 near mile marker 2 in Roanoke. The bridge was damaged on October 21 when it was struck by an over-height vehicle.
Nighttime repairs will take place Wednesday, Nov. 19, through Friday, Nov. 21. Two lanes of southbound I-581 will be closed from 10 p.m. each night until 6 a.m. the following morning.
Daytime repairs will take place Sunday, Nov. 23, from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m. and will require two lanes of southbound I-581 to be closed. The work will continue on Monday, Nov. 24, from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. and will require one lane of southbound I-581 to be closed.
Liberty Road will be reduced to one lane with flaggers directing traffic during the listed work hours on Sunday and Monday. An additional work day is scheduled for Tuesday, Nov. 25, from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. if necessary.
This work is weather and temperature dependent. Daytime closures are needed due to the temperature requirements of the concrete used to complete the repairs.
Drivers are asked to seek an alternate route and avoid this portion of southbound I-581 while the repairs are taking place. Anyone traveling on southbound I-581 should expect delays. Message boards will be in place notifying drivers of the lane closures.
For updates, visit www.511Virginia.org .
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.