Sundra Hominik 804-524-6094
April 12, 2012
SECOND I-95 BRIDGE TO BE REPLACED NEXT WEEK
Expect overnight delays at mile marker 78
COLONIAL HEIGHTS—The Interstate 95 southbound bridge over the exit ramp to Boulevard will be replaced next week as part of the I-95 Bridges Restoration project. This is the second of 11 structures to be replaced. The first bridge, I-95 over Laburnum Avenue, was completed earlier this month.
I-95 will be reduced to one travel lane in each direction near Boulevard (mile marker 78) nightly Monday, April 16 through Thursday, April 19 from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m., weather permitting.
During the southbound bridge replacement, I-95 south traffic will merge onto the northbound bridge. Both I-95 north and south traffic will use the northbound bridge to maneuver around the construction. Overnight drivers should expect major delays.
During the nightly bridge replacements, I-95 south drivers will be restricted from exiting at Boulevard and the ramp from Boulevard to I-95 north will be closed. The following detours will be in place:
- I-95 south to Boulevard: I-95 south to I-195 south, exit at Hamilton Street, left onto Hamilton Street, right at Westwood Avenue, right onto Rosedale Avenue to Ellen Road to Boulevard.
- Boulevard to I-95 north: Boulevard southbound to Broad Street, turn right at Broad Street to I-195 north to I-95 north.
VDOT strongly encourages drivers use one of the following alternate routes to bypass the construction.
From I-95 south (Henrico): Access I-295 at exit 84 to reach I-64 east/west or areas south of Richmond; through travelers can use I-295 south to bypass Richmond and re-enter I-95 south at exit 46 in Prince George County. Local traffic can also take exit 82 (Chamberlayne Avenue/Route 1/301 south) to reach Richmond destinations.
From I-95 north (Prince George): Access I-295 at exit 46 to reach I-64 east/west or areas north of Richmond; through travelers can use I-295 north to bypass Richmond and re-enter I-95 north at exit 84 in Henrico County.
From I-64 east (Goochland/Henrico): There are three alternate routes:
- Access Route 288 south at exit 175 in Goochland to reach Chesterfield County locations and to re-enter I-95 at exit 62
- Access I-295 at exit 177 to reach I-95 north or I-64 east of Richmond
- Access I-195 south at exit 186 in Richmond to reach downtown destinations, Route 76/Powhite Parkway Extension (toll) through Chesterfield County or the Downtown Expressway (toll).
From I-64 west (Henrico/New Kent): Access I-295 north at exit 200 to reach I-95 or to continue on to I-64 west of Richmond.
The following four traffic cameras are available to view traffic conditions during the bridge replacement:
- I-95 at Bellevue Avenue (north of Laburnum Avenue/mile marker 79) http://www.trafficland.com/city/RIC/camera/300007/index.html?eml=true
- I-95 just north of Westwood Avenue (north of Boulevard/mile marker 78) http://www.trafficland.com/city/RIC/camera/300014/index.html?eml=true
- I-95 just south of Boulevard (south of mile marker 78) http://www.trafficland.com/city/RIC/camera/300013/index.html?eml=true
- I-95 just north of Lombardy Street (mile marker 77) http://www.trafficland.com/city/RIC/camera/300012/index.html
Each night, two cranes will remove the existing bridge deck and beams and set pre-cast bridge sections in its place. Workers will then secure the new structure to the previously-restored bridge substructure.
For more information about the I-95 Richmond Bridge Restorations project or to sign up for project updates, visit http://www.i95bridges.org. Anyone with questions about the project can call VDOT’s customer service center at 800-FOR-ROAD (800-367-7623).
Real-time listings of road conditions and closures in Virginia are available on VDOT’s 24-hour traffic and travel information website, www.511Virginia.org or by calling 511. Richmond area traffic information is also available on Twitter @511centralVA.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.