Dawn Eischen 804-524-6179
March 7, 2008
TRANSPORTATION COMMISSIONER APPROVES 15 CENTRAL VIRGINIA CONTRACTS VALUED AT MORE THAN $16 MILLION
J. L. Kent & Sons, Inc. of Spotsylvania, Virginia was awarded a $1.6 million contract for road safety improvements to 1.28 miles of Squirrel Level Road (Rt. 613) between Rt. 673 and Rt. 672 in Dinwiddie County. At least one lane of traffic will be maintained at all times. In addition, the Rt. 741 intersection will receive two replacement culverts for improved drainage. A detour will be necessary in order to install one of the culverts. This will be done during the summer to coincide with school summer vacation. Expected completion for all work is Dec. 2008.
Blakemore Construction Corp. of Richmond, Virginia was awarded a $419,000 contract to mill and pave Route 33 between Rt. 736 and Rt. 674 in Hanover County. To reduce the impact to drivers, lane closures will be restricted during peak hours (6-8 a.m. and 4-6 p.m.) Mon.-Sat. The project is expected to be completed in May 2008.
The following 13 contracts were approved for paving throughout the Richmond area for a total of more than $14 million:
- Lee Hy Paving Corp. of Glen Allen, Virginia was awarded four contracts totaling $4.9 million ($1.9 million, $1.4 million, $1.1 million and $517,000).
- Colony Construction, Inc. of Powhatan, Virginia was awarded two contracts totaling $2.2 million ($1.1 million and $1.1 million).
- Branscome, Inc. of Williamsburg, Virginia was awarded three contracts totaling $2.1 million ($939,000, $799,000 and $399,000).
- Blakemore Construction Corp. of Richmond, Virginia was awarded a $1.7 million contract.
- B.P. Short & Son Paving Company, Inc. of Petersburg, Virginia was awarded a $1.2 million contract.
- W.L. Construction & Paving, Inc. of Chilhowie, Virginia was awarded a $1.2 million contract.
- Basic Construction Company, LLC of Newport News, Virginia was awarded a $727,000 contract.
For more information about VDOT projects and programs, visit VDOT Richmond District projects.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.