Ellen Kamilakis 703-259-2220
Jan. 17, 2017
Transportation Tips for 58th Presidential Inauguration
FAIRFAX, Va. - The Virginia Department of Transportation and Virginia State Police encourage drivers to plan ahead for road closures and delays across the National Capital Region associated with inaugural events on Friday, Jan. 20, 2017.
Virginia Vehicular Restrictions:
- I-395 HOV northbound lanes will close at 3 a.m. on January 20. HOV lanes on I-395 will re-open southbound upon the conclusion of the Inaugural parade.
- HOV restrictions will be lifted on I-66 (as well as on I-395 when the lanes reopen Friday evening).
- I-395 main lanes and I-66 will be open to all traffic.
- Memorial Bridge will be open to pedestrian traffic and authorized vehicle traffic only.
- Key Bridge, Chain Bridge, Woodrow Wilson Bridge and the American Legion Bridge will be open to all traffic.
- North Washington Street at Montgomery Street (City of Alexandria) to Reagan National Airport will be open.
- View United States Secret Service list of street closures, including the District and Maryland.
- The northbound 95 Express Lanes will begin closing for midday reversal at about 10 a.m. Read more about the Inauguration Day reversal schedule on 95 Express Lanes.
- To avoid congestion and travel delays, residents are encouraged to use Metro, Virginia Railway Express (VRE), and Amtrak for travel from Virginia into Washington, D.C., on Inauguration Day.
- Those needing to travel are encouraged to seek alternate means of transportation and develop a backup route. For real-time Virginia traffic information, visit 511virginia.org or download the 511 mobile app.
- Check out safety tips from Virginia State Police.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.