Ellen Kamilakis 703-259-2220
Jennifer McCord 703-259-1779
April 23, 2016
ROUTE 1 WIDENING COMING SOON
Join the project team for a “pardon our dust” meeting April 27 in Woodbridge
WOODBRIDGE—Next week, the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) will host a "pardon our dust" meeting as construction begins to widen 1.23 miles of Route 1 in Woodbridge from four to six lanes, between Annapolis Way and Mary's Way.
The public is invited to meet the project team to learn more about construction and traffic impacts from 6:30 – 8:00 p.m. on Wednesday, April 27 at Freedom High School, 15201 Neabsco Mills Road in Woodbridge.
Construction is expected to begin next month on the project. The project includes the following:
- Enhanced access to the Woodbridge VRE kiss-and-ride facility
- A new Route 1 bridge at Marumsco Creek
- Improvements to Occoquan Road, including a median and turn lanes from U.S. 1 to south of Horner Road
- Additional through and turn lanes on Route 1 and Occoquan Road to improve traffic operations
- A ten-foot shared-use path and six-foot sidewalk.
Demolition of several vacant buildings along the corridor is also underway to allow for the widening.
Fort Myer Construction Corporation is the Prime contractor for the $56.4 million project. The widening is expected to complete in fall 2019.
Since February 2015, crews have been constructing a Ductbank to place utilities underground along Route 1. That work is expected to be complete shortly.
More information on the project is available here.
Follow VDOT Northern Virginia on Twitter: @vadotnova