Sept. 29, 2016
Heavy Rain Will Continue to Affect Roads
Drivers should prepare now for extended afternoon commute
FAIRFAX – As overnight rain tapers off into the day, the Virginia Department of Transportation asks drivers to be aware of changing road conditions, and to prepare for a resurgence of heavy rain during the afternoon commute and continued rain through the Friday morning rush hour.
Drivers are asked to monitor the weather forecast, and:
- Check road conditions, before traveling, at 511virginia.org or the mobile app
- View list of road closures by region or county
- Follow @vadotnova and @511northernva on Twitter for updates
- Slow down and allow for extra time to reach your destination
- Turn on headlights to be more visible to fellow drivers
- Be alert to unexpected road conditions like ponding and downed trees
- Never drive through flood waters; turn around, don’t drown
- Report any road safety hazards at my.vdot.virginia.gov or by calling 1-800-FOR-ROAD (367-7623)
VDOT maintenance crews continue to clear storm drains, remove downed trees from the roadway, and resolve other road hazards. Operations teams continue to monitor incidents from the Transportation Operations Center, and help support public safety agencies.
Follow VDOT Northern Virginia on Twitter: @vadotnova
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.