Joan Morris 703-259-1799
Jennifer McCord 703-259-1779
June 20, 2014
ROUTE 7 TRUCK-CLIMBING LANE WORK BEGINS NEXT WEEK
Project includes roundabouts at Rt. 9 ramps, relocated W&OD Trail and other improvements
LEESBURG—On June 26, the Virginia Department of Transportation begins construction on a truck-climbing lane and other improvements to ease congestion and improve safety along Route 7 in Leesburg.
During construction, drivers can expect daily lane closures on Route 7 between West Market Street and Route 9 as well as on Route 9 between the Route 7 interchange and Simpson Circle as follows:
- Route 7 eastbound and Route 9 southbound: Monday-Thursday 10:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. (3:30 p.m. Fridays)
- Route 7 westbound and Route 9 northbound: Monday-Thursday 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. (1 p.m. Fridays)
There may also be occasional nighttime lane closures:
- Route 7 eastbound and Route 9 southbound: Sunday-Thursday 9 p.m. to 4 a.m., Friday 10 p.m. to 9 a.m., and Saturday 10 p.m. to 8 a.m.
- Route 7 westbound and Route 9 northbound: Sunday-Thursday 9 p.m. to 5 a.m., Friday 10 p.m. to 9 a.m., and Saturday 10 p.m. to 8 a.m.
VDOT will carefully monitor traffic flow and adjust lane closure hours as necessary.
In addition to accommodating heavy vehicles and tractor-trailers as they travel the steep grade, the project also includes several safety and operational improvements:
- Reconfigured medians to reduce turn conflicts, and side street intersection modifications
- Two new roundabouts where ramps to and from Route 7 meet Route 9 to improve traffic flow and reduce delays
- Relocated W&OD Trail through the Route 9 interchange to reduce conflicts between trail users and vehicles
- A new road segment to complete the connection of neighborhoods along Beechnut Road
- Extension of Fort Johnston Road to provide a connection to Alysheba Drive, Farm Market Road and Leeland Orchard Road
- A new turn lane from eastbound West Market Street to the westbound Route 7 on-ramp
VDOT is administering the $39.5 million project in cooperation with the Town of Leesburg and Loudoun County. Shirley/Dewberry is the design-build contractor. The project is expected to be complete in October 2015.
View more information on the VDOT project page.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.