Mike Murphy 703-259-1757
Dec. 30, 2014
MORE OVERNIGHT I-66 CLOSURES SCHEDULED IN JANUARY
Lanes will close for up to 30 minutes
FAIRFAX – All lanes of Interstate 66 in one direction will close intermittently between midnight and 5 a.m. on several dates in January for the installation of gantries. Each closure will last up to 30 minutes.
The scheduled closures on I-66 are as follows:
- Tuesday, Jan. 6 into Wednesday, Jan. 7: Westbound immediately beyond the Route 28 overpass (Exit 53)
- Thursday, Jan. 8 into Friday, Jan. 9: Eastbound between Route 28 (Exit 53) and Fairfax County Parkway (Exit 55)
- Monday, Jan. 12 into Tuesday, Jan. 13: Eastbound between Route 123 (Exit 60) and Nutley Street (Exit 62)
- Wednesday, Jan. 14 into Thursday, Jan. 15: Westbound just beyond Nutley Street (Exit 62) at the Vaden Drive overpass
- Monday, Jan. 19 into Tuesday, Jan. 20: Eastbound just beyond the Fairfax County Parkway underpass (Exit 55)
- Wednesday, Jan. 21 into Thursday, Jan. 22: Westbound just before the Fairfax County Parkway underpass (Exit 55)
- Monday, Jan. 26 into Tuesday, Jan. 27: Eastbound just before the Fairfax County Parkway underpass (Exit 55)
- Wednesday, Jan. 28 into Thursday, Jan. 29: Westbound just beyond the Fairfax County Parkway underpass (Exit 55)
Message signs will be posted in advance of the work so that motorists can use alternate routes.
The closures are part of the Virginia Department of Transportation’s ongoing effort to install 36 new gantries as part of the I-66 Active Traffic Management System (ATMS).
The traffic system is scheduled to begin operating between Route 29 in Centreville and the Capital Beltway in early 2015.
For more information, visit the project page.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.