Joan Morris 703-259-1799
Jennifer McCord 703-259-1779
Sept. 18, 2014
COLUMBIA PIKE INTERCHANGE DETOURS THIS WEEKEND
Route 244 to shut down for construction on Washington Boulevard bridge
ARLINGTON— During the weekend of September 20 and 21, Columbia Pike/Route 244 will be closed in both directions between South Quinn Street and South Orme Street so that VDOT can safely set steel girders on the new southbound bridge that carries Washington Boulevard/Route 27 over Columbia Pike.
Work to set up the detours will begin Friday, September 19 at 9 p.m. with the full closure of Columbia Pike starting in the overnight hours before the morning of Saturday, September 20. Once the detours are in place, bridge work will begin and continue all day Saturday and Sunday, September 21. Once the bridge work is completed, the detours will be removed and all lanes, ramps and signals will be restored to their current configuration by 4:30 a.m. Monday, September 22.
All Columbia Pike traffic, including pedestrians and bicycles, will be detoured around the work area to a temporary signal at Washington Boulevard. All turns from Columbia Pike to Washington Boulevard will be maintained on the following existing ramps:
- Eastbound Columbia Pike to northbound Washington Boulevard
- Westbound Columbia Pike to northbound Washington Boulevard
- Eastbound Columbia Pike to southbound I-395 (NOTE: currently eastbound Columbia Pike to southbound Washington Boulevard and I-395 North must turn left at the signal at S. Quinn Street and turn right onto Washington Boulevard. This pattern will be maintained through the weekend and beyond.)
All Washington Boulevard traffic will remain unaffected, with the following exceptions:
- Northbound Washington Boulevard to westbound Columbia Pike will be detoured to the Second Street South interchange and back to Columbia Pike via South Courthouse Road
- Southbound Washington Boulevard to eastbound Columbia Pike will turn left at the temporary signal on Washington Boulevard and follow the detour back to Columbia Pike
During the weekend, westbound Columbia Pike traffic bound for I-395 North will turn right onto the ramp towards Washington Boulevard northbound and follow the Second Street South interchange detour.
In addition, South Queen Street will be closed at its intersection with Columbia Pike. All South Queen Street traffic will be detoured to the signal at South Quinn Street.
Detour signs and other signage will be in place during this work.
This work may be performed the weekend of September 27 if inclement weather or unforeseen scheduling issues prevent work from beginning the weekend of September 20.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.