Joan Morris 703-259-1799
Jennifer McCord 703-259-1779
Dec. 28, 2012
HOOES ROAD BRIDGE RE-OPENS
$1.25 million repairs progressing on schedule
Hooes Road bridge over Accotink Creek
SPRINGFIELD—The Hooes Road bridge over Accotink Creek re-opened Friday, Dec. 28, according to the Virginia Department of Transportation. The bridge had been closed since July while crews made extensive repairs.
Over the last six months, crews have been working to replace the superstructure of the bridge, including:
• Removing and demolishing the existing timber deck, asphalt surface, existing steel beams and bearings, and removing tops of abutments and piers and approach guardrails.
• Modifying concrete abutments and piers for new superstructure, placing new bearings and erect new steel beams, constructing new deck and railings, repaving the approach pavement and installing new guardrail.
The previous bridge superstructure was structurally deficient and had a condition rating of 4 (poor). The three-span bridge is about 150 feet long and has a timber deck supported on 13 steel beams. The abutment foundations are steel piles and the pier foundations are concrete spread footings on rock. For this project, the entire existing timber deck and steel beam superstructure were being replaced with continuous beams with concrete deck. The bridge keeps 11-foot travel lanes and 2-foot shoulders.
Some final details will be finished in the coming months, and the entire project is on schedule to be complete in April 2013 by contractor Martins Construction Company. More details are available on VDOT’s project page.
As of 2009 about 330 vehicles per day used this section of Hooes Road.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.