Mike Salmon 703-383-2850
Jan. 5, 2009
ICY CONDITIONS FORECASTED FOR NORTHERN VIRGINIA
VDOT crews mobilizing tonight
With periods of rain, sleet and freezing rain expected over the next 36 hours, motorists are advised to use extreme caution and allow plenty of extra time. Travelers should also observe the following winter driving tips:
- Keep an emergency driving kit in your car and wear your seatbelt.
- Make sure your vehicle is winter ready.
- Keep a safe distance of at least five seconds behind other vehicles.
- Be aware of potentially icy areas such as ramps and bridges.
- When driving on ice, don’t slam on your brakes. Travel gently. Turn slowly.
- Sudden changes can cause your car to spin out of control.
- Before heading out, call 511 or visit www.511virginia.org for the latest road conditions.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.