VDOT News - Northern Virginia
|IMMEDIATE - 8 a.m.
Jan. 29, 2019
VDOT Asks Drivers to Avoid Travel During Rush Hour Snow, Ice
Road crews staging to clear snow & treat for icy conditions this afternoon, overnight
FAIRFAX—VDOT asks that drivers keep a close eye on winter weather that is forecast to impact today's afternoon commute, and plan to be home early to avoid driving during snow and ice that may cause hazardous road conditions.
What's Happening Now
The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Weather Advisory for the National Capital Region.
Crews have brined bridges and ramps throughout northern Virginia and are staging along roadways today in preparation of winter weather expected during the p.m. rush hour.
VDOT Asks Drivers and Residents to:
- Monitor weather closely, as forecasts can improve or worsen quickly.
- Plan ahead to avoid driving during snow and freezing conditions today. Plan to leave and be home early if possible.
- If you find absolutely must drive, give plows and treatment trucks plenty of room. Ensure enough gas, wiper fluid, proper tires, medication, and an emergency car kit.
- Follow @vadotnova on Twitter for updates
- For updates, FAQs and resources, visit virginiadot.org/emergency
- Report road hazards at 800-FOR-ROAD (367-7623) or my.vdot.virginia.gov
- Check conditions before you travel at 511virginia.org
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.