VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Nov. 1, 2019
Vaden Drive Bridge Construction Update: Lane Closures on I-66 Next Week as Bridge Demolition Progresses
Demolition of span over I-66 East and over Metrorail track expected to begin week of Nov. 3; Construction of new bridge abutment to begin
FAIRFAX – Demolition of the Vaden Drive bridge over I-66 near the Vienna Metrorail Station continues during the day and nighttime hours. Nightly lane closures on east and westbound I-66 will be required. Crews are demolishing the existing Vaden Drive bridge and constructing a new one as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Construction Progress During Week of October 27:
- Demolition of the bridge span over eastbound I-66 and the southern bridge abutment continued.
- Concrete removal for the span over eastbound I-66 is nearly complete.
- Abutment demolition is nearly complete.
- Rain and high winds reduced available days and nights for work.
What's Ahead This Weekend and Week of November 3:
- This weekend (Nov. 1-3), nighttime demolition of the bridge span over eastbound I-66 will continue with one night of concrete demolition and one-to-two nights of bridge girder removal planned.
- Early next week, nighttime demolition of the span over the Metrorail tracks is planned to begin. Work will continue through the week with removal of the concrete bridge deck and walls, followed by removal of the bridge girders later in the week.
- Construction will begin on the southern abutment of the new bridge to include pile driving during daytime hours.
What Drivers Should Expect:
- Lanes will be closed on eastbound I-66 during nighttime hours on Friday, Nov. 1, through Sunday, Nov. 3, with only one lane open between the hours of 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. (4 a.m. on Sunday night/Monday a.m.)
- Double lane closures on eastbound I-66 for two nights, followed by double lane closures on westbound I-66 for bridge demolition over the Metrorail tracks beginning Monday, Nov. 4, through Thursday, Nov. 7.
- All lanes will re-open by 5 a.m. on weekdays and by 9 a.m. on weekends.
- Work schedules are weather dependent and might be adjusted.
- Vaden Drive bridge over I-66 will remain closed for approximately 10 months to accommodate demolition and new construction. The temporary bridge closure is expected to cut the construction schedule in half – from 24 months to 12 months – and will reduce impacts on traffic as well as adjacent communities.
- Drivers are detoured to Nutley Street to access I-66 East or West or reach points on the other side of I-66.
Progress as of Friday, Nov. 1. The span over the closed portion of the exit from I-66 East to Nutley Street has been removed. Concrete removal for the span over I-66 East is largely complete.
Demolishing concrete barrier over closed traffic lanes on I-66 East on Monday night, Oct. 28. Debris is dropped into trucks below to be hauled away.
Crews continuing demolition of the south bridge abutment on Wednesday, Oct. 30. When demolition is complete, construction of the new bridge abutment will begin.
The new Vaden Drive bridge will accommodate the future, wider I-66, and will provide dedicated Express Lanes access ramps to and from the west for buses and cars only.
For updates, visit www.Transform66.org.
On Twitter, follow VDOT Northern Virginia at @VaDOTNOVA.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.