VDOT News - Northern Virginia
|IMMEDIATE - 6 a.m.
Feb. 20, 2019
Snow and Freezing Rain to Impact Travel Today
Avoid travel during storm; Heavy snow bands and icy conditions possible
Drivers are asked to avoid travel for safety today as a winter storm moves through the region with a range of
precipitation. Pockets of heavier snow may limit visibility and stick to the pavement, and a mix of freezing rain may quickly make roads slick.
What's Happening Now
- See Winter Storm Warning from the National Weather Service in effect until 7 p.m., to include snow, ice and freezing rain for northern Virginia.
- Trucks are rolling through the region, and will plow and treat roads as snow and slush accumulates. Crews first focus on interstates and primary routes, roads with vital emergency and public facilities, then lower-volume routes and neighborhood streets.
- Road conditions may vary and deteriorate through the day as snow bands move through and precipitation transitions to freezing rain.
VDOT Asks Drivers and Residents To:
- Avoid unnecessary travel during the storm and remain off of snow-covered or icy roads. Delaying travel gives crews and equipment space to treat roads and to plow snow or slush from travel lanes.
- Park in driveways or on the same side of the street to allow plows room to pass.
- Continue to closely monitor weather, as forecasts can improve or worsen quickly.
- As conditions improve, check the conditions along your route before leaving at www.511virginia.org, on the free mobile app, or call 511 from any phone in Virginia. Drive for the conditions and give plows plenty of room. Ensure enough gas, wiper fluid, proper tires, medication, and an emergency car kit.
- Follow @vadotnova on Twitter for updates
- For updates, FAQs and resources, visit virginiadot.org/emergency
- Report road hazards at 800-FOR-ROAD (367-7623) or my.vdot.virginia.gov
- Check conditions before you travel at 511virginia.org
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.