VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Aug. 22, 2019
New Traffic Pattern on Balls Hill Road in McLean
New left-turn lane and intersection improvements complete at Georgetown Pike
MCLEAN – A new left-turn lane from northbound Balls Hill Road to westbound Georgetown Pike (Route 193) is complete, improving operations at this location by allowing drivers to continue north and east of the intersection separately from Beltway-bound traffic.
Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) crews completed the construction over the summer while Fairfax County Public Schools were out of session.
The improvements were completed in coordination with scheduled resurfacing, and included:
- Widening the existing pavement to allow for dedicated left, through, and right turn lanes
- Modifying the existing signal to include flashing yellow arrows for northbound and southbound Balls Hill Road
- Constructing new drainage structures including stormwater pipes, curb and gutter, junction boxes, and drop inlets
- Installing a new traffic control camera that visually detects when vehicles approach the intersection for overall signal timing
- Re-striping pavement markings for the new lane configuration
"This improvement provides some much-needed relief for residents who live near the intersection," said John Foust, Fairfax County’s Dranesville District Supervisor. "Thank you to the community members who provided input and VDOT and Fairfax County staff who understood and acted on the urgency to get this done."
Follow VDOT Northern Virginia on Twitter: @vadotnova
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.