VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
April 18, 2019
Major Lane Closures on I-395 Over Weekends Starting April 26
Closures needed for bridge work along I-395 that will continue for four weeks
- Two general purpose lanes on I-395 will close for entire weekend periods starting on Friday nights through Monday mornings (alternating between south- and northbound directions, depending on location of bridge work); additional lane closures will occur in the opposite direction of I-395 as needed to allow crews to access work areas.
- At least two general purpose lanes will remain open on I-395 (in both directions) during peak-travel daytime hours.
- To help ease traffic impacts, the HOV lanes from just north of Edsall Road to the D.C. line will be open in the same direction as the bridge work, whether northbound or southbound.
- Thru-traffic (northbound to DC and southbound to Springfield) will be encouraged to use the HOV lanes, while local traffic will need to use the two open general purpose lanes.
- Weekly updates with specific closure information will be available at: 395ExpressLanes.com and VDOT's 395 Express Lanes Web Page.
- Current plans call for the reversible I-95 Express Lanes, from near Edsall Road to past Garrisonville Road in Stafford, to operate according to their normal schedule.
- Work and double lane closures will take place in the northbound direction on I-395 from Duke Street (Exit 3) to past Pentagon City/Crystal City (Exit 8C).
- HOV lanes will remain open in the northbound direction.
- Ramps from Duke Street to I-395 North will be closed. Drivers should follow detour signs.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.