VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle T. Holland
Aug. 22, 2019
Major Lane Closures Continue on I-395 North This Weekend for Bridge Improvement Work
Bridge work part of larger 395 Express Lanes project
ARLINGTON, Va. – Motorists are advised that lane closures will continue on the general purpose lanes along northbound I-395 this weekend, Aug. 23-25, from King Street (Exit 5) to S. Washington Boulevard (Exit 8A) for bridge rehabilitation work. The HOV lanes will also close to accommodate this bridge work starting Friday night and through the weekend. The HOV lanes will reopen in the northbound direction in time for Monday morning’s commute.
Drivers traveling to D.C. this weekend are urged to use alternative routes. Local traffic may still use the general purpose lanes, but should expect closures. All drivers should expect delays and plan extra travel time.
What Drivers Should Expect:
- Access to the HOV lanes will close beginning at 11 p.m. on Friday and reopen in the northbound direction on Monday at 4:30 a.m.
- A single general purpose lane on I-395 North will close from 7 p.m. Friday through 5 a.m. Monday.
- Alternating single lane closures will occur in each direction on Glebe Road beneath the I-395 overpass throughout the weekend.
- Weekly updates with specific closure information will be available at: com and VDOT's 395 Express Lanes Web Page.
- The reversible 95 Express Lanes, from near Edsall Road to past Garrisonville Road in Stafford, will operate according to their normal schedule.
The 395 Express Lanes, an eight-mile extension of the 95 Express Lanes to the Washington D.C. line, are scheduled to open this fall. Learn how Express Lanes work and how to get an E-ZPass at www.ExpressLanes.com.
Follow VDOT Northern Virginia on Twitter: @vadotnova.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.