VDOT News - Northern Virginia
|IMMEDIATE - 5 p.m.
Jan. 13, 2019
Additional Snow Bands Tonight; Plan to Adjust Monday Commutes
Northern Virginia road crews continue to plow snow and treat roads for icy conditions overnight
- Crews continue to plow and treat roads as additional snow bands move through the area this evening. Drivers can expect that roads previously cleared or treated may again become snow-covered and slippery.
- Interstates and primary routes are mainly wet, although snow continues to recover as bands move through.
- With below-freezing temperatures in store, crews will work overnight to treat for icy conditions.
- Crews will continue to work around-the-clock to make 16,000 neighborhood streets passable over the next several days.
Info for Drivers and Residents:
- Plan ahead now for Monday commutes: delay trips or telework until sunrise and temperatures increase.
- If you absolutely must drive, check road conditions before leaving and drive for the conditions. Significantly reduce speeds and allow plenty of extra time for commutes.
- Drivers can check the status of their neighborhoods as well as see plows nearby at www.vdotplows.org.
- If shoveling snow, check out this video for some tips. Remember, the plow may push some snow back.
- Follow @vadotnova on Twitter for updates
- For updates, FAQs and resources, visit virginiadot.org/emergency
- Report road hazards at 800-FOR-ROAD (367-7623) or my.vdot.virginia.gov
- Check conditions before you travel at 511virginia.org
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.