Paula K. Jones 434-856-8176
March 3, 2016
VDOT PREPARED FOR WINTER STORM RESPONSE
Motorists encouraged to know road conditions before travel
LYNCHBURG-Crews with the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) are prepared to respond to the winter precipitation that is forecast for the area tonight and into Friday morning. The VDOT Lynchburg District is expected to experience rain, light to moderate snow and, possibly, freezing rain in various areas before the storm is over.
- Pay particular attention to forecasts. The amount and type of precipitation may vary from area to area and it is important to know what may be encountered.
- Slow down and allow extra time for travel.
- Maintain a safe distance between vehicles.
- Avoid passing a snowplow or other VDOT equipment unless it is absolutely necessary.
- Be alert to potentially icy areas such as bridges, overpasses and shady areas.
The public should visit 511Virginia.org or call 511 for real-time road conditions. In addition, details about VDOT’s winter-weather response can be found at www.virginiadot.org/travel/snow.asp.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.