Paula K. Jones 434-856-8176
Jan. 29, 2014
Lynchburg District: Slick Roads Likely This Morning
Motorists are urged to knwo the conditions before traveling
LYNCHBURG – (4 a.m.) Light snow is continuing to fall in eastern portions of the Lynchburg District of the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) this morning and many roads are completely snow covered. With temperatures below freezing, motorists should expect icy conditions.
VDOT crews are pushing snow in the hardest hit areas while abrasives are being applied on trouble spots to help motorists with traction. VDOT will concentrate their efforts on primary and major secondary routes before moving their efforts lower traffic volume roads.
VDOT offers these winter driving tips:
- If you must travel, know the conditions before you go! Check www.511virginia.org or call 511
- Make sure your vehicle is winter ready – be sure to completely clear all windows, lights, and side mirrors before driving.
- Keep an emergency driving kit in your car.
- Wear your seatbelt and don’t drive distracted.
- Keep a safe distance of at least five seconds behind other vehicles.
- Allow extra time for travel.
- When driving on ice, don’t slam on your brakes. Travel gently. Turn slowly. Sudden changes can cause your car to spin out of control.
- Drive smart and pay attention.
The Lynchburg District includes the counties of Amherst, Appomattox, Buckingham, Campbell, Charlotte, Cumberland, Halifax, Nelson, Pittsylvania and Prince Edward.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.