Paula K. Jones 434-856-8176
April 27, 2011
TRANSPORTATION BOARD RELEASES DRAFT SIX-YEAR PROGRAM
Citizens invited to comment during public hearing
LYNCHBURG ― Yesterday the Commonwealth Transportation Board released a draft six-year improvement program which includes funding for projects in Governor Bob McDonnell’s transportation package.
In the Virginia Department of Transportation’s Lynchburg District, the draft plan includes:
- Route 130, Amherst County – Replace the bridge over Pedlar River.
- Interchange extending Odd Fellows Road over Route 29/460, Lynchburg – This 1.00 mile of new construction would provide a connection between two major roadways in Lynchburg: US 29/460 and the Lynchburg Expressway.
- Route 501, Campbell and Halifax Counties – Funded for preliminary engineering only. This project would construct nine passing lanes on Route 501 in Campbell and Halifax counties.
- Routes 701 and 761, Pittsylvania County – The Route 701 Bridge over Sandy Creek and the Route 761 Bridge over Straightstone Creek would be replaced.
- Route 643, Campbell County – Replace the bridge over Falling River.
- Route 726, Pittsylvania County – Reconstruct 0.7 mile of roadway.
- Route 675, Charlotte County – Replace the bridge over Cub Creek.
- Route 20, Buckingham County – Reconstruct 0.5 mile of roadway.
The Lynchburg District is comprised of the counties of Amherst, Appomattox, Buckingham, Campbell, Charlotte, Cumberland, Halifax, Nelson, Pittsylvania and Prince Edward.
Citizens will have an opportunity to comment on the proposed program at a public hearing on May 12 at the Virginia Department of Transportation, Salem District Auditorium, 731 Harrison Avenue, Salem, VA 24153. The meeting begins at 6 p.m.
Following public hearings around the state, the Board will vote on a final plan on June 15 for the July 1 fiscal year.
Funding for these projects were allocated to fund deficits and shortfalls on existing projects first, followed by phases underway or scheduled to be underway this year, deficient bridge and paving projects, and projects on the Governor McDonnell’s Illustrative List. Projects on the Governor’s Illustrative List were funded based on project readiness.
To view the draft SYIP, visit http://syip.virginiadot.org
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.