Paula K. Jones 434-856-8176
Dec. 15, 2010
WINTER WEATHER ON THE WAY
Motorists urged to use caution and be alert to conditions
LYNCHBURG—We cannot say how much snow, sleet or freezing rain is about to fall in your neighborhood but we can say that winter weather appears to be on the way to our area and crews with the Lynchburg District of the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) are prepared to deal with what comes.
Crews have checked their equipment to ensure that all is in working condition, stocked up on salt, sand and other abrasives, put down a brine solution on roadways where appropriate and scheduled staffing for the duration of the storm. Now it is time for motorists to do their part.
VDOT urges motorists to follow these winter driving tips:
- Know the conditions! Before heading out, call 511 for the latest road conditions or visit www.va511.com .
- Make sure your vehicle is winter weather ready and that all windows and lights are clear before driving.
- Keep a safe distance of at least five seconds behind other vehicles.
- Be especially aware of potentially icy areas such as bridges, overpasses, low-lying areas and shady spots.
- Drive with caution. When driving on ice, don’t slam on your brakes and turn quickly.
For additional winter weather driving tips and other relative information, visit www.virginiadot.org/travel/snow.asp
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.