Paula K. Jones 434-856-8176
Jan. 8, 2010
MOTORISTS SHOULD USE CAUTION
Snow and/or icing possible on roadways
LYNCHBURG – A light snow fell in much of the Lynchburg District of the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) overnight and motorists should use caution if traveling early this morning.
While much of the district located in South-Central Virginia saw no or little accumulation, some minor conditions are reported on secondary roads in Buckingham and Cumberland counties at this time. Even in those areas without accumulated snow, motorists should continue to use caution as air moisture or melted snow from an earlier storm can freeze/refreeze on surfaces and create slick conditions.
• Check road conditions before they leave home by calling 511 or logging in to 511Virginia.org
• Slow down and allow for extra time to reach their destinations
• Be aware of potentially icy areas such as shady spots and bridges
• Keep a safe distance of at least five seconds behind other vehicles
• Do not pass a snowplow or spreader unless it is absolutely necessary
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.