Paula K. Jones 434-856-8176
April 30, 2009
MOTORISTS MAY EXPECT DELAYS DURING BRIDGE INSPECTIONS
· 5/5 Route 622 over Partridge Creek, east of Galts Mill
· 5/7 Route 210 over Route 29 Business at Madison Heights
· 5/7 Route 701 over Route 29 Bypass
· 4/30 Route 15 over James River, CSX Railway & Route 656 at Bremo Bluff
· 5/19 Route 664 over NS Railway near Lynchburg
· 5/6 Route 40 over Cub Creek at Phenix
· 5/6 Route 690 over Willis River, west of Cartersville
· 5/6 Route 639 over Big Guinea Creek, south of Cumberland
· 5/19 Route 724 over NS Railway near Scottsburg
· 5/4 Route 29 over Rockfish River at Woods Mill
· 5/5 Route 56 over Tye River near Tyro
· 5/8 Route 701 over Sandy Creek, south of Rt. 57
· 5/8 Route 686 over Banister River, south of Rt. 40
Prince Edward County:
· 5/21 Route 15 over Route 460 at Farmville
VDOT inspects all its bridges at least once every two years unless there are issues with a structure due to age, deterioration, bridge damage or other known concerns. In these cases, more frequent inspections are conducted. Routine bridge inspections continue to ensure that all 20,823 Virginia bridges remain safe for motorists. When bridge inspectors find any safety concerns, bridges are immediately posted to reduce weight limits or closed until necessary repairs are made.
Motorists are urged to use caution when traveling through these are any highway work zones. For additional information about work zones statewide, visit www.511Virginia.org or call 511.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.