Paula K. Jones 434-856-8176
Feb. 18, 2009
MOTORISTS ADVISED TO USE CAUTION
In the Lynchburg District of the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT): Amherst, Appomattox, Buckingham, Campbell, Charlotte, Cumberland, Halifax, Nelson, Pittsylvania and Prince Edward counties, roads are wet with some slick conditions reported. VDOT crews have applied mixed abrasives in many areas and are monitoring roadways.
VDOT offers the following tips for driving in winter weather:
- Before you begin your trip, know the current road conditions and weather forecasts.
- Call 511 or visit www.511Virginia.org.
- Make sure your vehicle is prepared.
- Always wear your seat belt.
- Allow extra time to travel to your destination and reduce your speed as appropriate.
- Be aware of potentially icy areas such as bridges, overpasses and shady spots.
- Practice common sense. Remember that your car cannot start, stop, or turn as quickly and surely on snow or ice
as it does on dry pavement, so think and drive accordingly.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.