Paula K. Jones 434-856-8176
Jan. 27, 2009
ICY ROADS REPORTED
9:00 a.m. conditions
Temperatures are expected to hover around the freezing mark throughout the period and snow, rain, sleet and freezing rain are predicted are various times.
Motorists should be aware of current traffic and weather conditions if travel is necessary. Before traveling, call 511 or visit www.511Virginia.org for the latest information.
VDOT offers the following tips for driving in icy conditions:
- Allow extra time to travel to your destination. Slow down!
- Be aware of potentially icy areas such as bridges, overpasses and shady spots. In addition, entrance and exit ramps, intersections and crossovers may ice before roadways.
- Reduce speed as appropriate and keep a safe distance of at least five seconds behind other vehicles and snowplows.
- Do not pass a snowplow unless it is absolutely necessary. Remember, the plow is clearing a path for you.
- Practice common sense. Remember that your car cannot start, stop, or turn as quickly and surely on snow or ice as it does on dry pavement, so think and drive accordingly.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.