Paula K. Jones 434-856-8176
March 1, 2009
CAUTION URGED SUNDAY INTO MONDAY
Winter weather expected across area
The 10-county Lynchburg District includes Amherst, Appomattox, Buckingham, Campbell, Charlotte, Cumberland, Halifax, Nelson, Pittsylvania and Prince Edward counties.
In Amherst, Appomattox, Campbell and Prince Edward counties some slick spots are reported, while roads in portions of Pittsylvania County are snow covered.
VDOT crews are out in most areas addressing problem situations and/or preparing for the possible accumulation of 6" to 10" inches from this evening through Monday morning.
Should travel become necessary during the overnight and early morning hours caution is urged.
VDOT offers the following tips for driving in winter weather:
• Before you begin your trip, know the current road conditions and weather forecasts.
Call 511 or visit www.511Virginia.org.
• Make sure your windows, mirrors and lights are clear of ice and snow.
• Always wear your seat belt.
• Allow extra time to travel to your destination.
• Be aware of potentially icy areas such as bridges, overpasses and shady spots. Also, if there is heavy snow, ice or high winds, be alert to potential driving hazards including downed branches, trees and electric lines.
• Reduce speed as appropriate and keep a safe distance of at least five seconds behind other vehicles and snowplows.
• Do not pass a snowplow unless it is absolutely necessary. Remember, the plow is clearing a path for you.
• Practice common sense. Remember that your car cannot start, stop, or turn as quickly and surely on snow or ice as it does on dry pavement, so think and drive accordingly.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.