Paula K. Jones 434-856-8176
Feb. 1, 2008
What will the road conditions be tonight?
Icy conditions still possible in some areas
Motorists may still find travel difficult this evening across portions of the district. Remnants of the rain and freezing rain that fell during the overnight and early morning hours can still be found on trees, roadways and signs.
Temperatures are hovering near freezing in some locations and will drop further tonight creating possible icy conditions on bridges and overpasses and in low lying areas, as any moisture remaining refreezes.
Motorists can do a great deal to help themselves remain safe should travel become necessary during inclement weather. Follow these simple steps:
* Know the weather conditions before heading out. Dial 511 or go to www.511Virginia.org for additional information.
* Be familiar with the operations of personal vehicles. Do you have anti-lock brakes? If so, brake and hold them
when stopping; if not, pump them.
* Slow down.
* Increase distance between vehicles.
* Make smooth, precise movements with the steering wheel.
* Anticipate lane changes, curves, and turns well in advance.
For more information about Virginia’s efforts to prepare for winter weather and other emergencies, visit www.ReadyVirginia.gov. Ready Virginia was created by state agencies to serve as a one-stop resource of emergency preparedness tips and information for Virginia citizens.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.