Paula K. Jones 434-856-8176
Feb. 13, 2008
ANOTHER ICY MORNING FOR MOTORISTS?
Drivers should use caution this morning
Early morning temperatures are hovering around the freezing mark and light drizzle and freezing rain are being reported in some locations. Icy conditions are occurring in some areas and motorists should use caution. Particularly susceptible to freezing are bridges and overpasses and extra care should be given when traveling in these locations.
Motorists can do a great deal to help themselves remain safe should travel become necessary during inclement weather. Follow these simple steps:
* Know the weather conditions before heading out. Dial 511 or go to www.511Virginia.org for additional information.
* Be familiar with the operations of personal vehicles. Do you have anti-lock brakes? If so, brake and hold them
when stopping; if not, pump them.
* Slow down.
* Increase distance between vehicles.
* Make smooth, precise movements with the steering wheel.
* Anticipate lane changes, curves, and turns well in advance.
For more information about Virginia’s efforts to prepare for winter weather and other emergencies, visit www.ReadyVirginia.gov. Ready Virginia was created by state agencies to serve as a one-stop resource of emergency preparedness tips and information for Virginia citizens.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.