Brooke Grow 757-925-1515
March 27, 2012
VDOT WILL CLOSE MULTIPLE FACILITIES THIS WEEKEND FOR PAVING OPERATIONS
Motorists should use detours in place and anticipate delays
SUFFOLK– The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) has begun the extraordinary amount of maintenance activities that will close multiple lanes at a variety of water crossings, each weekend until Memorial Day. Both the I-664 Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel (MMMBT) northbound, and I-64 High Rise Bridge eastbound, will have lane closures this weekend for paving operations.
Crews will close both lanes of the I-64 east High Rise Bridge, towards Suffolk, and one westbound lane towards Chesapeake, on Friday, Mar. 30, 2012, at 7 p.m. The lanes will reopen on Monday, Apr. 2, by 5 a.m.. Crews will finalize milling and repaving operations on the eastbound traffic lanes. One westbound lane will be affected due to placement of machinery during paving operations.
The I-664 MMMBT northbound lanes, towards Newport News, will close on Friday, Mar. 30, at 8 p.m. and reopen on Monday, Apr. 2, by 6 a.m., for tunnel joint and pavement repair.
All maintenance operations will occur during periods with the least possible impact to motorists, while maintaining safe and efficient travel conditions throughout the area. These scheduled maintenance activities are weather dependent. Crews will have detours in place for motorists who need to travel in these areas during the closure.
The detour for the I-64 east High Rise Bridge to Hampton/Newport News is as follows:
• Take I-64 west towards the HRBT
The detours for the I-64 east High Rise Bridge to Suffolk and Great Bridge section of Chesapeake are as follows:
• Overheight and heavy load vehicles are recommended to take 17 South to NC 158 West, NC 158 West to NC 32 North, NC 32 North to Suffolk Route 13/58 Bypass, Route 13/58 Bypass to I-64
• From the I-64/264 Interchange at Exit 284, take Exit 284A to I-264 west. Follow
I-264 west through the Downtown Tunnel to Bower’s Hill.
• If entering the interstate past the I-64/264 Interchange at Exit 284, take Exit 291A and follow I-464 north to Exit 6A. Follow I-264 west through the Downtown Tunnel to Bower’s Hill.
• From Route 168 continue on I-464 north to Exit 6A. Follow I-264 west through the Downtown Tunnel to Bower’s Hill.
The detours for I-664 MMMBT north will be as follows:
• From Route 58 east approaching I-664 north (Bowers Hill), motorists must exit onto I-264 east, towards the Downtown Tunnel. Motorists will follow I-264 east to I-64 west, towards the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel. The detour will end at I-664, Hampton Coliseum.
• From I-664 North approaching College Drive, crews will place an inside lane closure and reroute traffic back on to I-664 south, towards Bowers Hill. From I-664 south motorists will take I-264 East (towards the Downtown Tunnel); to I-64 West (towards the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel); end of detour at I-664 (Hampton Coliseum)
Motorists are encouraged to visit www.511virginia.org , call 511 or listen to Highway Advisory Radio (HAR) 610 AM or call the Traffic Information Line at 757-361-3016 for current traffic and travel information.
For additional project information on the High Rise, please visit: http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/hamptonroads/i64_high_rise_bridge_waterproof_and_repair_deck.asp
For additional project information on the MMMBT, please visit:
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.