Lauren Hansen 757-925-1660
March 13, 2012
VDOT WILL CLOSE I-64 EASTBOUND LANES AT THE HIGH RISE BRIDGE THIS WEEKEND
Motorists should use I-264 Downtown Tunnel and the Gilmerton Bridge as alternate routes
CHESAPEAKE– Crews with the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) will close the I-64 High Rise Bridge, eastbound lanes, towards Suffolk on Friday, Mar. 16, 2012. The eastbound lanes will close at 7 p.m. and reopen by 5 a.m. on Monday, Mar. 19.
This closure will be a continuation of work from previous weekends. Crews will finalize milling and repaving operations on the eastbound traffic lanes. This will be the final closure for the eastbound lanes. The westbound lanes are not affected and will remain open to vehicular traffic. All paving operations will occur during periods with the least possible impact to motorists, while maintaining safe and efficient travel conditions throughout the area.
Crews will have a detour in place for motorists who need to travel in this area during the closure. The detours will be as follows:
• Overheight and heavy load vehicles are recommended to take VA 17 South to NC 158 West, NC 158 West to NC 32 North, NC 32 North to NC 1332 (Daniels Road) to NC 32 North, NC 32 North to Route 13/58 Bypass in Suffolk, Route 13/58 Bypass to I-64. Please note that this detour route differs from the previously advertised overheight route to accommodate construction activities planned by the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT).
• Overheight and heavy load vehicles are recommended to take 17 South to NC 158 West, NC 158 West to NC 32 North, NC 32 North to Suffolk Route 13/58 Bypass, Route 13/58 Bypass to I-64
• From the I-64/264 Interchange at Exit 284, take Exit 284A to I-264 west. Follow
I-264 west through the Downtown Tunnel to Bower’s Hill.
• If entering the interstate past the I-64/264 Interchange at Exit 284, take Exit 291A and follow I-464 north to Exit 6A. Follow I-264 west through the Downtown Tunnel to Bower’s Hill.
• From Route 168 continue on I-464 north to Exit 6A. Follow I-264 west through the Downtown Tunnel to Bower’s Hill.
Motorists are encouraged to visit www.511virginia.org , call 511 or listen to Highway Advisory Radio (HAR) 610 AM or call the Traffic Information Line at 757-361-3016 for current traffic and travel information.
For additional project information, please visit: http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/hamptonroads/i64_high_rise_bridge_waterproof_and_repair_deck.asp
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.