Lauren Hansen 757-925-1660
Oct. 15, 2012
I-64 EAST HAMPTON ROADS BRIDGE-TUNNEL TO VIRGINIA BEACH WILL CLOSE OVERNIGHT THIS WEEKEND, OCTOBER 19-22
Traffic will be detoured to the I-664 Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel; motorists should expect up to a half-mile delay
SUFFOLK– Crews with the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) will close the I-64 east Hampton-Roads Bridge Tunnel (HRBT) to Norfolk, Virginia, during the weekend nights of Oct. 19-22 for paving operations. Motorists are strongly urged to avoid the area near the I-64 east HRBT.
The HRBT eastbound tube toward Norfolk and Virginia Beach will close three nights this weekend, Oct. 19, 2012. Closure times are as follows:
• Friday, Oct. 19, beginning at 9 p.m. until Saturday, Oct. 20, at 9 a.m.
• Saturday, Oct. 20, beginning at 9 p.m. until Sunday, Oct. 21, at 9 a.m.
• Sunday, Oct. 21, beginning at 9 p.m. until Monday, Oct. 22, at 4 a.m.
I-64 eastbound traffic approaching the HRBT will be detoured to the I-664 Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel (MMMBT).While the traffic analysis shows the MMMBT can accommodate the additional HRBT traffic, motorists should expect up to a half-mile delay beginning at 9 p.m. until the work zone is cleared the following morning.
The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) is closing the eastbound lanes to complete a repaving project inside the tube that was started on the weekend of Friday, Sept. 14, 2012. During the closures, crews will mill and place new asphalt overlay in the left lane within the eastbound tube of the HRBT. In addition, various traffic safety items will be replaced including pavement markings. Westbound traffic will not be impacted and all westbound lanes will be open during construction.
The signed detours for I-64 HRBT east will be as follows:
• From I-64 east approaching I-664 south (Hampton Coliseum), motorists must stay on I-664 south through the MMMBT. Follow I-664 south to I-264 east towards the Downtown Tunnel. Follow I-264 east through the tunnel to the end of the detour at I-64 east and I-264 east (Barry Robinson Interchange).
• For motorist staying on I-64 east towards the HRBT, they must exit at Mallory Street then head west on I-64 towards Williamsburg. Follow I-664 south towards the MMMBT to I-264 east towards the Downtown Tunnel. Follow I-264 east through the tunnel to the end of the detour at I-64 east and I-264 east (Barry Robinson Interchange).
The Route 17 James River Bridge Grid Deck Replacement Project will have all operations suspended during the closure of the HRBT. All lanes of the Route 17 James River Bridge will be open.
Motorists are encouraged to call 511 or the Traffic Information Line at 757-361-3016, visit www.511virginia.org, or listen to Highway Advisory Radio (HAR) 1680 AM for current traffic and travel information.
For additional project information please visit: www.HRBTpaving.org
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.