VDOT News - Fredericksburg
LaTina W. Bundy 540-899-4560
Jan. 14, 2019
FREDERICKSBURG DISTRICT: ROAD CONDITIONS IMPROVE, BUT EXPECT OVERNIGHT REFREEZE
Wet, slushy pavement expected to refreeze after sunset; Motorists are urged to use additional caution during the overnight and early morning hours
FREDERICKSBURG – Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) crews made significant progress today in the Fredericksburg District, with clear to minor road conditions this afternoon on Interstate 95, primary and heavily-traveled secondary routes.
Road conditions are minor in subdivisions and on lower-volume secondary routes. Motorists may encounter isolated patches of snow and slush in these areas.
While road conditions have improved, any wet and slushy pavement is expected to refreeze tonight as temperatures drop after dark. VDOT crews will remain at work overnight to monitor roads for hazardous conditions, and will apply sand and salt as needed to improve traction and reduce icing.
Motorists are urged to use additional caution if traveling this evening and during the early morning hours Tuesday.
What Residents Should Know:
- VDOT Park and Ride commuter lots will be treated for the morning peak travel period.
- Icy conditions occur first on bridges, overpasses, ramps and in shaded areas. Drivers should be alert and use caution on roads that appear wet, as ice may have formed. Slick road conditions will be possible, especially on secondary routes carrying less traffic, and on hills and curves.
- Motorists should plan to allow extra travel time and reduce your vehicle speed. Increase following distance between vehicles.
- Clean snow and ice from your vehicle before starting a trip. This will improve your visibility of the road ahead, and it will prevent snow and ice from becoming a flying debris hazard for other travelers.
Additional VDOT Information Sources
- Find VDOT Fredericksburg District news releases online on VDOT’s website, www.VirginiaDOT.org, under “Newsroom.”
- Follow VDOT on Twitter @VaDOT and @VaDOTFRED
- Connect with us on Facebook on our VDOT page, and VDOT Fredericksburg District group page.
VDOT’s 14-county Fredericksburg District includes the counties of Caroline, King George, Spotsylvania and Stafford in the Fredericksburg area; Northumberland, Richmond, Lancaster and Westmoreland counties in the Northern Neck; Essex, Gloucester, King & Queen, King William, Mathews and Middlesex counties in the Middle Peninsula.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.