VDOT News - Fredericksburg
Darragh Frye 540-899-4119
Sept. 23, 2019
EXPECT OVERNIGHT LANE AND RAMP CLOSURES ON I-95 IN STAFFORD
Expect overnight delays and ramp detours on I-95 southbound starting tonight, Sept. 23
FREDERICKSBURG, Va. – Construction for several Interstate 95 improvement projects continues this week in the Fredericksburg area, and travelers can expect overnight and daytime lane closures in the region, as well as overnight ramp closures in Stafford County.
Starting tonight, Sept. 23, drivers can expect delays on I-95 southbound near Exit 136/Centreport Parkway for paving. Starting Tuesday night, crews with the I-95 Southbound Rappahannock River Crossing Project will move concrete barrier and slightly shift traffic on I-95 southbound near Exit 133 (Route 17) to advance work to widen the southbound on-ramp to two lanes.
Weather permitting, the following lane closures are scheduled:
Exit 136/Centreport Parkway to Exit 140/Courthouse Road
- Monday – Friday, 9:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Expect daytime, single lane closures between Exit 136/Centreport Parkway and Exit 140 (Courthouse Road) in Stafford County for various construction activities for the Improve 95 projects. Delays are possible. Use caution with crews and construction equipment working in the median and along the shoulders. Be alert to trucks slowing down to enter or exit the median at various construction entrances throughout the work zone.
Exit 133 (Route 17) I-95 Southbound On-Ramp Closure and Detour
- Tuesday − Wednesday, 9 p.m. – 10 a.m.
- Expect a single lane closure on I-95 southbound near Exit 133 (Route 17), followed by a double lane closure at 10 p.m. Double lane closures will end at 4:30 a.m. A single lane will remain closed until 10 a.m. Wednesday. Crews will be preparing for a traffic shift on the ramp on Thursday evening.
- Wednesday − Thursday, 9 p.m. – 4:30 a.m.
- The on-ramp to I-95 southbound from Route 17 southbound will be closed to allow crews to install concrete barrier and temporary pavement markings. The on-ramp will reopen at 4:30 a.m.
- Thursday − Friday, 9 p.m. – 4:30 a.m.
- A single right lane on I-95 southbound will be closed at Exit 133 (Route 17). The on-ramp from Route 17 southbound to I-95 southbound will also be closed during this time. All lanes and ramp will reopen at 4:30 a.m.
Detour Route for Ramp Closure
During the ramp closure Wednesday and Thursday evenings, drivers on Route 17 southbound seeking to enter I-95 southbound will be directed to use the following detour route:
- Use the I-95 northbound entrance ramp to merge onto the northbound collector-distributor lane
- Immediately exit to Route 17 northbound toward Warrenton
- From Route 17 northbound, motorists can access the I-95 southbound on-ramp
Exit 136 (Centreport Parkway) Paving Operations
- Monday – Thursday, 9 p.m. – 4:30 a.m.
Crews will continue paving I-95 southbound between mile markers 137 – 135 near Exit 136/Centreport Parkway. One lane will be closed in the work zone at 9 p.m. followed by a double lane closure at 10 p.m. The I-95 southbound on- and off-ramps to Centreport Parkway will also be closed. Drivers should access I-95 southbound at Exit 140/Courthouse Road. All I-95 southbound lanes and ramps will reopen by 4:30 a.m.
Exit 140 (Courthouse Road)
- Thursday, midnight – 10 a.m.
- Expect a single lane to be closed on I-95 southbound near Exit 140/Courthouse Road for milling and paving as part of the project to reconfigure the interchange to a diverging diamond design.
For more information about all of the Interstate 95 projects in the Fredericksburg area, please visit www.Improve95.org.
Motorists can find real-time information on lane closures, work zones, traffic and other incidents on 511Virginia.
VDOT’s 14-county Fredericksburg District includes the counties of Caroline, King George, Spotsylvania and Stafford in the Fredericksburg area; Northumberland, Richmond, Lancaster and Westmoreland counties in the Northern Neck; Essex, Gloucester, King & Queen, King William, Mathews and Middlesex counties in the Middle Peninsula.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.